Monday, March 30, 2015

Surprise eggs!

From January Didi was hormonal like crazy - she was shredding everything around like a mad lovebird. She was feisty and increasingly territorial. We did not want them to have a nest while it was really really cold outside, just in case we have an emergency and need to go to see the vet with them, or even worse, with the babies.


At some point we found an egg in their snuggle sack. So then we knew that it's better to give them the nest space and let them have the eggs. I was afraid that if I restrict them at this point, Didi might get egg-bound, as it was obvious that the second egg was on its way. I kind of hoped that eggs are infertile - I have never seen Didi and Juju mate - they are a new couple of just three months together by then. Oh boy I was wrong!

So five eggs were laid and Didi started breeding on them. It was a bliss, because they got really quiet, and just busy with their nest. I could manage to snatch the eggs and candle them at some point - only one showed up as fertile, but I also wasn't sure.

During the incubation, one of eggs turned blue (sign of a dead egg) and Didi managed (how???) to throw it out of the nest. By then I was convinced that there will be no babies out of this clutch.




Till I heard the peeping coming out of the egg and gentle knocking. The baby was on its way! Soon after a beautiful / alien looking baby bird was born! How precious!!!

________________________________________________________________________________

The March baby will be ready to go to his new family in the first weeks of June. Do you live in Montreal, QC or surroundings, and want to adopt him? Read here before contacting me.

________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment